Sunday, August 27, 2017

Elder Brenchley is not so sure about the hot pot and 1,000 year old eggs, but he loves the all you can eat ice cream

Hello!

This week was pretty good. We're in the Yuanlin 1st Ward which covers the north end of the city and secondary areas of Dacun Township, Puxin Township, and Yongjing Township.  The ward members are really nice and supportive. We also got our bikes. We spent most of the week finding and looking for more people to teach. Unfortunately, we didn't really find anybody. The investigators the sisters gave us at the beginning of the transfer when we whitewashed in are still not answering their phones and not really meeting with us. It's been pretty hard for my trainee. He got pretty frustrated and upset this week due to the lack of investigators and lessons, but as for me... I'm just kind of used to it... Hahaha! Oh well. We're still trying to find those people. On the other hand, we got some part member families that we're going to visit this week. We're hoping that we can find our next baptism there. I have high hopes for that. 

It seems the pattern with all of our lessons and set ups is that we can find people and set them up to meet with us but then they "放" us. Which means to stand us up. I'm used to it, but I just mostly feel bad for trainee who just really wants to teach people and watch them progress. 

Another thing that seems to be happening is that we have these secondary areas that are apparently really golden and that's where we could find people (apparently.) But, every time we make plans to go to these area we get a call from a member that wants to feed us food or something. It's not the worst thing that could happen obviously, but it's still super hard to get to the secondary areas. They are super big and far away, too. 

This week we had a lot of members feed us. So they took us out to 火鍋 hot pot and it was really good. I love hot pot火鍋 so much. My companion was very new to the idea of 火鍋, but it was really fun. I almost ordered the spiciest 火鍋 hot pot, but I decided not to at the last second. I think it was a good idea, because the member that went with us ordered that and he was almost in tears from how hot it was. He kept asking me if I wanted to try some but I rejected. Then out of nowhere I see my companion start scooping ice cream, because at 火鍋 hot pot they have all you can eat ice cream. My companion upon discovering the all you can eat ice cream immediately went into a frenzy and just had scoop after scoop of ice cream --literally so much ice cream. The members started to get concerned that he was eating so much ice cream. I watched in horror as he ate pretty much a whole gallon of ice cream. Unfazed, we finished up and went to the church. I'm not sure what it is about Elder Brenchley, but man he can eat. He ate and entire loaf of bread one night. He tells me he's always hungry. When I got to Taiwan I wasn't hungry at all. I was too nervous.

On Monday, after I emailed you, we went to a fried rice place and were eating fried rice with the other elders. Then we saw they had the 1,000 year old egg. So we ordered it for my trainee. He was immediately horrified at the sight of the 1,000 year old egg and I had flashbacks of when I ate that in my first area when I was being trained. He obviously gagged a ton when he ate it. He hated the whole thing, but we were all in tears laughing. I have some pictures.

I honestly don't have much to write about this week.  Next week we should be able to start finding people hopefully.

Today we're going to a very expensive buffet called 石頭 it should be pretty yummy and they have all you can eat ice cream.

I love you all so very much!

As for pictures actually.. I'm still missing my cable to hook it into the computer, so I don't know what to do about that.... 

I might just have to have my companion send me pictures.


The Bo Zhang Laos






No comments:

Post a Comment