Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Mid Autumn Festival is this week

您好家庭!

I'm not sure where this week went. It's almost the end of this transfer and with that I speculate that I will likely move. Due to the fact that I have been in the land of 清水 for almost 7 months. I hope that I move down south! But, I don't know if I'll move for sure because it's basically unpredictable. Fingers crossed that I'll move. But, unfortunately I'll have to leave behind one of my favorite companions. Elder Storey. He's a good guy and its been a super fun transfer. But this is all speculation.

This week was full of weird stuff. The women in QingShui have been very flirty with me for some reason. Maybe I'm just understanding more or something but, it's super awkward and makes me a little uncomfortable. Love is in the air as well as the deafening sound of fireworks and the smell of mysterious meats being cooked in the streets. This week is 中秋節 (Mid Autumn Festival.) Which means that people get like 4 days off of work and it's the Taiwanese equivalent of the 4th of July. But everyone celebrates a week early so there's been massive amounts of fireworks. The fireworks here are super sketchy because anyone can just buy whatever. So there's constant fireworks at night. So contacting people is super hard. I've compared it to trying to preach the gospel in Afghanistan, because of all the fireworks going off. They give each other moon cakes for Mid-Autumn Festival to show that they wish each other a long and happy life. They are many types and they usually have filling in the center.  The cakes are round to symbolize the reunion of family. Apparently the ancient Chinese observed that the movement of the moon was related to the seasons and farming. So, to express their thanks to the moon and celebrate harvest, they have offered a sacrifice to the moon (moon cakes) on autumn days when the moon was bigger and brighter in the sky.  The festival dates back over 3,000 years!!!




I have tons of weird stories to tell you guys but I just don't really have time ever or the memory to bring some up... Recently one that comes to my mind, is what me and Elder Storey call the 7-E-Lesbians. While making calls one night we were in front of a window that looks out on to the street. Well we see these two girls holding hands which is kind of normal in Taiwan. Then they came right up to the window and kissed each other. Horrified, and in the middle of talking with Mr. Jesse Wang I looked away. Then I heard one of the most terrible things, the good old ding dong thing that goes off when someone enters the store. Regrettably I looked over and they walked in and were talking in one of the isles. Then in the reflection of the glass I see them both go into the bathroom. Together.... It was horrifying. A line started to form and then they finally ccame out of the bathroom and left... Super nasty. We see them all the time... We hate making calls at that Seven Eleven.

Other than that, our investigators are doing well. Lots of weird problems like money and court. One of our investigators got into a car accident and has to pay $200,000 US dollars total for the accident. He just rear-ended a car which led to that car rear-ending 3 other cars. But, he showed us pictures and it's just super ridiculous. Nothing really new. This week will be super hard. No one is going to talk to us because it's a festival. Oh yeah, apparently there's a typhoon coming this week.

I love you all so very much! Did I mention that?

Kayleigh's new room looks good.....Why did she switch rooms again? Nonetheless, glad to hear it's not full of ferret poop.

Well I hope things for the most are going well! Today for P-day we're going to go eat all you can eat pizza. I was also thinking about sending a package home. Probably when I get to my new area *cough* Speculation *Cough*

No comments:

Post a Comment