Wednesday, February 3, 2016

First Letter from the MTC

Hey everybody,

So yes, my P-Day is Wednesday. By the way, I love dear elders. They make me so happy to read them. The MTC is pretty alright. It can really suck sometimes though. Our Branch President is a former politician that served/worked along Presidents of the United States. So he's pretty intimidating. He yelled at us one day, because we were listening to church music when we were studying. The White handbook says we can listen to church music, so we weren't sure what the issue was. Anyway, my companion is Elder Giles. He is really cool. He's the perfect balance of obedient, but laid back enough to laugh. My district has a total of 8 people. Four of us are elders and then the other 4 are sisters. Its a closely-knit district, and for the most part we all get along really well. My Chinese name is Bo (boa). So, Bo Zhang Lao (Burge Elder).It's kind of funny because I can't really read my own missionary name tag, I'll send a picture next week of it, but it's all in characters except Elder Burge. But as we go through the MTC we get different name tags, so eventually my name tag will be entirely in the Chinese characters. Which will be weird. The MTC is a very busy place and I feel like I'm constantly running around. The food here is probably the most awful thing I've experienced in my life. It's really hard for me to eat for some reason. Mostly because 90% of the food is really bad and makes me sick. So I've lost like 10 pounds. But fortunately I got your package full of stuff and I've felt way better. The language is extremely challenging and frustrating. We've taught our fake investigator 3 times already. It's very frustrating to try to teach him because we can barley understand what he's saying. I can pray/read scriptures/bear my testimony in Chinese in just a week. It is absolutely crazy how fast you can learn here. I've learned SO much Chinese here that it makes my head pound by the end of the day. I already want to leave the MTC. This place is alright, but I'm ready to be out in the field. Most guys here have a hard time with the schedule and it stresses them out a lot. They also stress out about the language. Everybody in my district has such a strong and powerful testimony and crazy life stories. I feel like sometimes my testimony and life story are very simple and bland compared to theirs. Everyone here is extremely nice and helpful. I had my blood drawn yesterday, I have a cold right now and I had a chest x-ray that was required for my mission. I really miss you guys and I haven't even touched my photo album of home, because I'm worried it will make me homesick. By the way, I'm not homesick. I'm happy to be a missionary and happy to be out. I miss my Mango a lot. Glad to hear that Sam got a two year something at USU and that things are going well back home. I don't have a whole lot of time to write. But I'm alive and doing well. Oh by the way, to get the shot for Japanese Encephalitis it's $450, and I think I want to get it, but I'm not sure how it will be billed or all that stuff, so if i do get it I want to make sure it's okay to? Anyway, the way we talk in our residence is weird, because we learn so much Chinese that we structure our English sentences the way you would in Chinese. So for example, "you hand me toothpaste right now, yeah?" Its weird. Anyway, I've got to finish up my laundry and stuff. Don't worry about me doing laundry Mom, because the washing machines are exactly the same from my job at the warehouse, so I know exactly how to use them and everything. I'm happy to be out and a missionary. I love you all so much and miss you a lot. I'll write to you next Wednesday! Bye!

P.S. Confucius say what?





No comments:

Post a Comment