Sunday, April 24, 2016

Tracting and stinky tofu

Hello!

This week has been a lot better. Every week just gets a little more bearable. I've gotten a little better at talking to people and I'm slowly understand people more and more. This week was pretty interesting. I went tracting for the first time this week. I kind of like tracting. We were looking for this former investigator's house, because we read her record and it said that she had got baptized but never got confirmed. So we wanted to figure out what was up, so we just decided to bike to her house. So we're going down this pretty busy road and we're looking for this house and we cannot find it. So we had to ask the security guard and he told us that it was down this weird, shady alley. So we're like, "alright let's do it." So we go down this alley that was super small and we're practically biking single file because it's so small and it was like going back in time. We start to pass these houses that were from like 500 BC. That's not an exaggeration. It was really cool! So we come to this family temple and we're looking all over for this lady's house. We finally had to ask someone who happened to be a 60 year old man that spoke mostly Taiwanese, but we learned that she wasn't there. So we left. But still really fun!

On top of that I had the honor to eat Stinky Tofu. If you don't know what that is, is it's Tofu with a rotten egg. Google it. It is probably on my list for some of the nastiest things I've ever eaten. The bishop and his wife served it to me and I gagged it down. It was absolutely terrible. I don't have any pictures of that but I'll send some soon. But it was nasty!

My favorite drink is Supa. It is kinda like Gatorade with a hint of watermelon flavor. It is sooo good.


I eat this onion pancake thing almost every morning for breakfast.




I eat buns all of the time. It's kind of a gamble to figure out what's inside because I can't read yet. Some are really good. Some are really bad. This morning I ate a coconut and raisin one and it was like an Almond Joy. Then I've had some where they have this fuzzy meat in it. I'm pretty sure it's dog. It tastes absolutely awful. The pastries here are really good. Taiwanese sandwiches are gross!

While we were getting ready to take the bus up to this college we saw that we had to wait like 20 minutes for the bus. We were kind of like, "alright whatever." So we're waiting for this bus when all of the sudden this random guy starts asking us where we're going and stuff. Then he handed us some food. It was like pancake with eggs/seaweed/fish/onion in it. It was...alright... But then he calls us over to this alley where his car is parked and he says get in I'll take you there. We were like, "uhhh....." I felt like I was going to be kidnapped. So my trainer just jumps in the car and I give him the "what are we doing face." So I jump in and he takes off in his car going 900 mph weaving in out of traffic, drifting around corners, driving in the bike lane. It was a crazy ride. Oh yeah and he had a beach boy CD. So that was nice. But yeah half way through we found out that he was a less active member. So...But still! Quite the adventure.

Then the other day our power went out in the apartment randomly. It's really hot in Taiwan and so our AC was turned off. On top of that we have this garage door that covers our front door. It is our front door I guess, but It's operated by a remote. So since the power was out we couldn't close the door to leave, because then the whole apartment would be unlocked. We spent most of the morning trying to unwrap this metal chain so we could do it manually. We had the other elders help us. So we're moving furniture and all sorts of stuff. We stacked a chair on top of a table so we could get his chain unwrapped off of the motor. It was quite the struggle and I was dying laughing. Tears were streaming down my face because of the comments that were being made. Then they ended me by making an invention. In desperation Elder Trotter got a broom and ducked taped a hammer to it. (Laughing as I'm writing this.) Then try to get the chain (unsuccessfully) down. We eventually had to get a ladder, but it was so funny!


There is a rice patty behind our house. We have to kill 200 mosquitoes every night so that we don't get chewed up and stuff. It's hilarious because the other elders get way into it. I haven't seen any roaches.


My bike is kind of crappy. It has a weird clicking noise when I pedal and then the wind and rain messes with it pretty bad. It falls over all the time. Same with the other elders. I had to make my own bike box with a Tupperware container. I'll send a picture next week! Still trying to get my bike legs.

Today we're going to the beach to sleep!

Other than that things here are going well. We're really close to getting one of our investigators baptized.

I love you all so much! Happy birthday Mom. I think I'm a little late! I love you all so much and think about you guys all the time when I'm trying not to get run over!



































No comments:

Post a Comment